Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Coaching - a newbie's reflection

I have operated in the role of consultant and collaborator for several years and would have easily assumed the label of coach.  

One of my learning goals is to develop effective coaching skills. Without any training or definition, I was blessed that have a few great colleagues who have already taught me so much about coaching.  I am learning why time with these colleagues was beneficial and meaningful and had an impact on student learning.  The blessing is that I can become intentional with those interactions and be more impactful.


I think it takes risk to invite a coach.  To some teachers, it may be threatening to have a coach observe instruction then reflect with them.  The teachers I worked with this week saw it as an opportunity for professional development.  Together we looked for small adjustments in the classroom practice for the benefit of student learning.

In turn, I had to take a risk and ask for their feedback.  Here is my follow up message to them.

I would appreciate any feedback (warm or cool) so that I can grow as a coach.  Some to the general ideas our team has for coaching include:
  • Set powerful goals 
  • Establish a relationship and build trust
  • Develop strategies for success
  • Get you into action
  • Generate insights
Your response is appreciated.

Let's see what responses are returned and how I can see past my ego to work on my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment